Pages

Friday 20 July 2012

Slutty Spaghetti (aka Puttanesca)

This is one of my favourite recipes of all time. There are recipes for this all over the place, but I first came across it in one of my favourite vegetarian cookbooks - Linda McCartney's 'Recipes from around the world' which I found in a charity shop a few years ago and was one of the best £1.99 I've ever spent. It's quick and takes around 15 minutes from frying the garlic to serving with pasta. It also happens to taste amazing; not for the faint hearted, it's full of very strong flavours, and I always go massively over the top with the garlic and the chili. Words can't do it justice. This recipe serves 2, but I'll happily admit when I'm home alone and cooking for one, I often just have the whole sauce with my pasta because I can't get enough of it. It's my ultimate comfort food!


Garlic (as much as you can handle)
Chilies (optional - I often use dried chili flakes but fresh chilies are even better)
1 x 400g tin plum tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp olives (black or green depending on your preferences)
1 tbsp capers


1. Fry garlic in oil, then add olives and capers, and fry for a minute or so, making sure to stir often. If you have any fresh chillis, add them to the pan too and fry.




2. Add tinned tomatoes, and use the edge of your wooden spoon to break the tomatoes up (alternatively use a tin of chopped tomatoes). At this point you want to put your pasta on if using dried pasta.



3. Add the tomato paste, and stir through.


4. Add dried chillis (if using), season with salt and black pepper, and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes until heated through or until your pasta is cooked.


5. Add to pasta of your choice, stir through, and serve with cheese if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment