Pages

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Mushroom and Butter Bean Sandwich Filling

As a vegetarian, I too often fall back on the cheese or hummus when it comes to sandwich fillers for lunch. Granted, I vary the cheese/hummus I eat, but you get my drift - it's easy to get stuck in a rut. So I started experimenting with using beans as a low-fat, high-protein sandwich filling. This is one of my favourite creations. It's tasty both hot and cold, and you can even eat it hot as a side for your dinner. I had this in a home made wholemeal roll for my lunch, and it was delicious!





Makes 2 - 3 sandwiches, depending on how size of bread/how full you make your sandwiches.

1 tin butter beans
150g mushrooms, sliced
40g frozen spinach
1 - 2 cloves of garlic
dried parsley
salt and pepper

1. As is the norm with most of my recipes, start off by frying some garlic on a medium heat.


2. Add the mushrooms, sprinkle some dried parsley on the top, and continue to fry.


3. Once the mushrooms have reduced in size, add the spinach and continue to fry until the spinach has broken up.



4. Add the butter beans and fry until they are heated through.




5. Finally, season with salt and pepper, and serve hot or cold as a tasty sandwich filler. Butter/mayonnaise isn't needed really but I do add a bit of mayo to the sandwich to keep things moist.




No comments:

Post a Comment