Pages

Sunday 27 March 2016

(Bread maker) Red Berry Hot Cross Buns

Happy Easter everyone! I have been slightly obsessed with some red berry hot cross buns sold in my local co-op, and decided to see if I could make them myself, by adapting a normal hot cross bun recipe. They turned out very well! I used a mix of dried cranberries which had some dried strawberries mixed in, but you could just use dried cranberries if you can't find strawberries. I lazily used my bread maker to make these, though I'm sure you could also make these the traditional way.







Ingredients:

1/2 tsp yeast
250g strong white flour
1 tsp sugar
25g butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
30ml water
80ml milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
80g dried cranberries (you could also add in dried strawberries)
30g sultanas
10g freeze dried raspberries, crushed

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 220 degrees C/425 degrees F/Gas Mark 7

1. Add all ingredients except dried fruit to bread maker and set to dough. If you have a raisin setting, use this. Press start.

2. When the machine beeps, add the dried fruit. If you don't have a raisin setting, add after 45 minutes.

3. Once dough cycle is done, remove from machine and split into 6 balls. Place on a lined baking tray and allow to prove for 30-40 minutes at room temperature.

4. Mix 2tsp water with 2tsp flour and pipe crosses on the top.

5. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes.

6. Remove from heat and apply sugar glaze - add 2tbsp sugar to 4tbsp water and heat in microwave until dissolved. Brush on top of hot cross buns whilst still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment