Pages

Saturday 5 July 2014

Kashmiri Paneer Masala

I have recently discovered Maunika Gowardhan's Indian food website, and found this kashmiri paneer masala recipe there. I modified it since I didn't have all the spices in my cupboard, and it was lovely. So much so that I was pretty gutted there were no leftovers. We cooked this without salt or chilli and gave it to my daughter who couldn't get enough of it! In Maunika's recipe the paneer is first pan fried before being removed and added later. I didn't bother to do this as my paneer was quite firm and it held up well in the sauce.



Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 bay leaves
1 cinammon stick
6 cardamon pods
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
500 ml water
pinch saffron
1 onion, finely sliced
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried ginger
2 tbsp greek yoghurt
225g paneer, cubed
1/2 tsp garam masala
fresh coriander to garnish (optional)

Instructions:

1. Fry bay leaves, cardamon, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, mustard seed and fennel seeds in oil or butter in a large frying pan until the mustard seeds start to 'pop'.

2. Meanwhile, boil the water and add the saffron to it, leaving it to infuse.

3. Add onion to the pan and cook until softened.

4. Add tomato paste and stir through. Add paprika, garlic powder, and ginger and stir through.

5. Add saffron infused water and simmer for 5 minutes.

6. Add the paneer, stir through gently, and cook for 10 - 15 minutes.


7. Stir through garam masala and fresh coriander and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment