Pages

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Banana and Lemon Cake

I have recently made the discovery that cakes, flapjacks and other baked goods will all freeze well. Joy! This means I can now bake to my hearts content without worrying that my partner and I will have to eat the proceeds in a few days (or trying to find people to offload my baked goods onto). 

The combination of flavours in this cake sounds like it wouldn't work (my partner's exact words before eating it: "I'm not sure about this...") but it really does. And providing you use ripe bananas, you should be able to taste the two flavours seperately whilst they still compliment one another.




Ingredients:

150g butter
175g caster sugar
2 eggs
225g plain flour
75g almond flour (ground almonds)
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 ripe bananas, mashed
Zest + juice of one lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp milk

To serve:
Icing sugar, sieved

Instructions:
Line a 23cm square cake tin (or equivalent sized round tin) and preheat oven to 180 degrees C/ 350 degrees F/Gas Mark 4.

1. Cream butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and beat in.

2. Sieve flours, salt and baking powder into the bowl and fold in.

3. Add mashed bananas and stir through.

4. Add lemon zest and juice, vanilla extract, and milk. 

5. Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour until cooked through. Leave to cool before sprinkling with icing sugar and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment