Pages

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Roast Potatoes with Shallots and Rosemary

This was originally a recipe for potato wedges but I wanted to make some fancy roast potatoes as an accompaniment to my Tofu Nut Roast, so modified the recipe slightly. The recipe I used suggested baby shallots, and if using them, you can just use them whole. I used normal shallots and just sliced them in half. Of course, if you don't want to use shallots you can always use normal onions. A final tip: keep an eye on your potatoes so that they are not too overdone when you add the shallots/garlic; I haven't got the hang of my new oven yet so my potatoes were quite well done and I was unable to cook the shallots for as long as I would have liked.


Ingredients:
1 kg potatoes (either new/young, or small old potatoes)
4 tbsp olive oil (approx, I just used a very large glug)
2 tsp dried rosemary
150g shallots, sliced in half
3 garlic cloves, sliced
salt and pepper

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C / 400 degrees F / Gas Mark 6

1. Peel potatoes and cut into roast potato sized chunks/wedges. Boil in a pan of slightly salted water for about 8 mins until beginning to soften. Drain the potatoes, shaking slightly to bash the edges (this gives a crispier roast).

2. Add the oil to a roasting tin. Add the potatoes to the roasting tin and shake to coat them thoroughly. Add the rosemary, salt and pepper and shake again to coat evenly.


3. Roast in preheated oven for 35 minutes, shaking twice during cooking.

4. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for a further 15 minutes until the potatoes are crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment